Thursday, March 19, 2009

Getting Excited for the Trip?!

In 2007, I went on this service trip under the leadership of Katey Parker and Lindy Nash, unsure of what to expect and what to do. The trip turned into an experience that changed my life as well as the other students' lives. I wish that everyone had the experience that we will have, learning more about themselves as we travel to the bateys and about the completely different culture that we encounter. Each batey, we see different people, but no matter who you are helping, their smiles capture their appreciation for what we are doing for them. Two years ago, I learned from the children in the bateys that materialism, which is extremely prevelent in America's society, is unimportant, but what is important is to have dreams, to have your family, friends, and community, and to live life with as much happiness as possible.
I am excited to return to the Dominican Republic to experience everything again, as well as all the new experiences that await us upon arrival. I am excited to share this opportunity with a new group of students, all of whom are just as excited and enthusiastic about this trip.
As I just returned home from Phoenix, I am ready once again to be in a warmer climate.
We only have three more days until our arrival to Logan airport at 4:00 am on Sunday morning to embark on our trip. I know that is what I am most looking forward to... It's between that and seeing the smiling faces of the children as we pull into the bateys.

Marcela D.

No comments:

Post a Comment