Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Day 2!

Hi everyone,

First off, Happy Birthday mom! I hope you enjoyed your birthday.

Now about today: today I worked as a scribe with Dr. Miner. We saw many of the same things; most of the men complained about headaches and ithcy eyes. One man had cancer of the bone in his knee, so he had no leg. He had crutches and still maintained to keep a smile on his face throughout our consult. The children were absolutely adorable. Today we saw many infants, all who were responsive and smiley. Willingly, the parents would hand us their infants and just watch as they smiled and held our hands. Jill was almost the first one to hold an infant; you can tell she loves children. Most people in this batey spoke Creole, but I think that everyone´s Spanish is improving, even those that don´t take Spanish. It´s an amazing experience as a student leader to watch everyone truly enjoy and grow from our trips to the bateys.

Tonight, we are playing basketball, and in about 5 minutes, we are heading to the orphanage. It has been an amazing day; this whole trip has gone so smoothly and is wonderful.

I appreciate all the support that our parents give to us and thank-you for supporting us on this wonderful trip.

I love you mom and dad.
xo Marcela

4 comments:

  1. Hello to all missionaries incl. Marcela!
    Thank you for those birthday wishes. Loved the note. I actually read it while eating my "kibble". It is obvious to me how much you love children and I know how much you enjoy visiting the orphanage. Marie came in to the office today and I told her how appreciative everyone was of the scrubs. Galen passed hers down to Jill (I saw it in the suitcase!) Marcela, you will make a great physical therapist for kids! I am glad Northeastern has a specialty in pediatrics. Anyway, once again it sounds amazing. It sounds like you are keeping everyone focused and uplifted. I love you very much and will never be able to express my love and pride for you and your kindness and good works. I will comment on "the boys" blog now. I don't want to be repetitive. We all love reading what is going on, even though we are so helpless. We all support you in prayer.
    love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marcela for letting us know what the day was like. It must have been very difficult to see so much suffering, but uplifting to see the smiles on the faces of the children. You are all doing such wonderful work and we miss you all. Could someone post pictures when possible? It would be great to see you all in action.
    XO Helen K. (Kirk's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi all!

    It is hard to believe that 11 years ago, Lorpu (Shyloe's sister) and I were apart of the first MB spring break Community Service trip... We went to South Carolina to help rebuild a church that was burned down by arson. Looking at this blog and reading about your adventures makes me so proud to have been apart of the MB community. You all are being the change we wish to see in the world!
    Thanks for keeping us up to date.
    Love,
    Liz (Marcela's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed one day of the blog and see I've missed a lot! I second Liz's comment. The two of us had talked about starting one of MB's first service workcamp trips back in 1999, our freshman year in Gadsden, SC. Which took us to Georgia 2 years later with Habitat for Humanity, and back to RI at Roger Williams. It's comforting and amazing to see how structured and solidified the program has becomen in almost 10 years.

    I am sure this trip will be a humbling and inspiring one for you all. Not everyone is reminded that there is more to the world than work, play and school. Please take every opportunity to remember your experiences - write, sing, dance, take pictures, make movies, whatever :)

    We all appreciate your updates and look forward to more.
    *Lorpu
    (Shyloe's sister and Class of 2002)

    ReplyDelete