Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Boston Airport Send off



As most of you know my wife went into the hospital last week so I was unable to go with the trip this year. Of course I was totally bummed when I realized I couldn't go, but so relieved when Jill Stockman volunteered to go in my place! I was able to make it to the airport for the 4am send off and of course my favorite the last minute shuffling of items in the bags to make sure that each bag did not exceed the 50lb limit. Leaving from Boston was much easier than leaving from Providence because they did not individually check each bag at security so it was a lot less stress. I think the biggest sadness for me in not going this year is that for the first time in the trip's history, there are 3 siblings of former DR trip participants, and several students who came through the middle school wanting to participate. As I waved goodbye as they passed through security the loss I felt was knowing that I wouldn't see the amazing and transformational experiences that these 12 students were about to have; but I am looking forward to hearing all the stories when they return.

Fortunately, my wife was discharged yesterday and now I get to practice my nursing skills at home.... So I will be following the blog every day! Hopefully we will get to see pictures tomorrow?

Hope the b-ball game goes well, and of course that you beat Kansas! I'm so proud of each of you and can't wait to hear all the soties upon your return! Much love to you all. -Galen


1 comment:

  1. Hi Galen--You have given these young people a gift of life-long service, something that will stay with them forever. With your support they gain the confidence to do some really difficult stuff.
    And, I am so proud of everyone who is on the trip and everyone who provided support...and Jill's generosity!

    Anne Landis

    ReplyDelete