Tuesday, March 24, 2009

David and Graham´s Batey Adventures

We will not be repetitive because we want to surpass the previous dual blog entry. Yesterday was an first day in a world very different from the East Side. Kirk said it perfectly as we roamed into the dense sugar cane to empty our bladders. He said something like, "Graham, this is surreal". I (Graham) looked up to see miles of emptiness. My job as trafficer in the clinic was completely negated and I was defaulted to being a sort of amusement for all waiting patrons. I became lost in my primitive three years of Spanish yet I gained confidence as I played baseball with children who may never go as far as Santo Domingo. We do not have much time and I want to let David write his entry. Today we saw the face of poverty. Even my decent Spanish could not break the vast barriers between the Creole speakers and me. I worked in the pharmacy and attempted to use my nonverbal communication. I had trouble finding the optimism today as once again I scrambled toward the cane as the ground was lined by a layer of can and plastic, but I wil continue to remind myself that although we can not cure the tumor on the old woman´s neck or the oral infection of the little infant, but we can make these Dominicans feel that someone cares.

As I (David) started yesterday on the eyeglass station, I did not understand what I was getting myself into. I was given a card similar to those found in pediatric Doctor´s offices for recognizing the strength of visi0n. Although I have no experience in the Spanish language, my study of French has helped in my attempt to communicate with the Creole people. For the most part, the Creoles speak in a dialect that is rooted in French, which allows me to communicate basic vocabulary, and being able to give the gift of sight.

5 comments:

  1. David and Graham,
    Wow! You are experiencing sites and sounds that I will never see. You have been given an experience that is life changing. You are the next leaders of our country. I don't think anything can prepare you for what you are doing. It truly gives you an appreciation of what you have in the U.S.A. People say to me, "Why do they need to go on trips to see poverty? We have it in our own country! The poorest of the poor in America doesn't not compare to what you are witnessing. We, as parents, are very proud of your work. Hopefully, your leaders will keep your spirits up. Looking forward to more sharing this week.
    Sue Donat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you boys that was an insightful and beautiful chapter of a book that will have no end. I'm sure you will carry these experiences with you for a very long time. I hope you always remember how you made a difference in the lives of those so less fortunate. We are so proud of you and has Kirk come out of the cane field yet?
    XO Helen K. ( Kirk's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. David it was great to hear from you. It sounds like, once again you are bringing smiles to many faces. I could not help but think back on our days in Africa and how the people were so happy to be helped. Every little thing you do makes a BIG difference for so many. Keep up the good work. I know you are all making a diffence in the lives of the people you touch this week. I am proud of you and your classmates.
    David, I miss you 'million pounds' XOXO; mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. David a note is attached from Ga and Bobby; Have fun! Love you mom

    David,
    What you are doing is so special! I know you are making a big difference with the people you are helping. You and your classmates should be very proud.
    Love you and miss you
    Ga and Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was away for a few days visiting my parents, whose internet connection was so slow (!!) that I couldn't quite get to the blog. (Don't worry--I'm working on that.) This, of course, reminds me that we can become distracted by very minor inconveniences while you are encountering so much real-world pain and suffering--but bringing your enthusiasm and smiles and joy that do so much to alleviate the hard things in the world. It's wonderful to read your impressions of the work you're doing, and I think that even though it's March Madness, the game I'd most want to see would be yours against Kansas.

    In moments of serendipity, I spoke with someone in Atlanta who organizes service trips for a church, so I shared your system of donations, organization, and delivery--so now she's going to bring it to her group as well. Your example is spreading in the American south, as well as in the D.R.

    I'm thinking of you all tons, and so proud that you'd use part of your vacation to do this important work. Are you keeping Jill and Jennifer laughing?
    Best,
    Ms. Phipps

    ReplyDelete